Saturday, April 24, 2010

"I'm Beamin"....The Steppin Lasers Tour

So on last Friday night, (April 16th, 2010) I was listening to my radio in my room, when I heard it. Lupe Fiasco. UNC Charlotte. April 23, 2010. Of course I was ecstatic. A concert on my birthday?! And a Lupe Fiasco concert at that?! Immediately I began getting plans together with two of my good friends who I knew are Lupe fans. And on Tuesday afternoon, I had the tickets printed out. So from then on, I tried to go about my week as calmly as possible until Friday came, (which was a HARD thing to do). Finally Friday morning came with hundreds of "Happy Birthday" Facebook messages and all that good stuff, but all I could think about was the concert that night. So somehow I ended up making it through the day in a calm manner, and me and my friends arrived on the (beautiful) UNC Charlotte campus at around 7:00 pm, and I immediately ran into the arena section to catch a glimpse of the stage (pictured above), and at that point it hit me. I was really about to see Lupe in about an hour. So 8:00pm met me sitting anxiously in my seat waiting for the concert to begin with B.o.B, who would be the opening act for the night. Eventually the lights dimmed and "Airplanes" filled the stadium....Now, let me sidetrack for a minute. I know that the mainstream radio is just now getting used to the sounds of B.o.B, but I was fortunate to have a friend introduce me to his music a while ago, and at first I didn't really appreciate him. But experiencing B.o.B live was a totally different story. The way he owned the stage with his hybrid rap-pop-country was amazing, and was essentially all that I needed to decide upon buying the album when it comes out on Tuesday. So after about an hour, B.o.B wrapped up his set, and it was time for Lupe to come on. When the lights dimmed for a second time, the crowd went wild. Then the stadium was filled with the sound of an electric guitar playing the beginning of "Shining Down", and in a matter of seconds, Lupe was on the stage, and the show had begun. If I wrote about the whole show we'd be here all night, so here's my quick "summary"....Lupe is an AMAZING performer. The booming drums and roaring guitars mixed with Lupe's rock-esque energy made one feel like they were at a rock concert. My favorite song of the night was probably "Hip-Hop Saved My Life", a song that made the stadium go nuts with excitement, and set the tone for the rest of the night. All in all, the show was AMAZING, and only made me more anxious for the release of Lasers..........So, if you have the opportunity to catch Lupe and B.o.B on the Steppin Lasers Tour, I BEG you to go see it. Sorry for not being as thorough as possible, but I just wanted to give you guys a quick preview of the show. So as always, Kato mate. 

2 comments:

  1. I'm so jealous!
    He's not coming here, I've
    YET to see him perform live
    but it sounds like a lot of fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. YES!! He is a phenomenal performer!!!

    ReplyDelete