Sunday, May 2, 2010

Can Someone Tell Me What's With All the Gaga Comparisons??

As some of you may know, Christina Aguilera's music video for "Not Myself Tonight" premiered on April 30. I've seen the music video, but for purposes of time I'll keep my opinions to myself. But what I WON'T keep to myself about are the countless comparisons that people have drawn up between Aguilera's video and Lady Gaga's videos, mainly "Bad Romance". To be nice and keep it simple at the same time, I'll say this: "ARE YOU GUYS SERIOUS??!". How come people compare EVERYTHING that's different and "out-there" to Lady Gaga these days?! It's as if people think that Lady Gaga invented being different or eccentric in the music business. Really?! People like Boy George, Grace Jones, and Madonna (all of whom have had Gaga compared to them) have been "doing" different things for YEARS before Gaga was even a thought in her own mind. And the most ridiculous thing about this whole situation is that Christina Aguilera's been rocking the electric blonde hair and making a unique image for herself WAY before Lady Gaga. So why are we not comparing Gaga to Aguilera?? But hold on and let me backtrack. Gaga surely didn't create individuality, but she definitely did help bring about a new "wave" of creativity in music, and I can't fault her for that. But when there are only two shots that the two music videos seem to share, (both stars wore Carrera Aviators, and Aguilera did seem to be wearing a Bad Romance-esque "jewelry bikini" type thing that looked similar to an outfit I saw in Bad Romance) there is no justification in websites saying that Christina "copied" Gaga. Let's get real people. 

No comments:

Post a Comment