Saturday, November 28, 2009

The Go-Between


I'm starting to see a common occurrence in my life. Whenever two friends of mine have disputes who do they come to, (behind each other's backs of course)? You got it, ME. This chain of events has been occurring since...let's say, elementary school. I guess one could say that I'm a very good listener, or just very good at staying neutral in these situations. Either way, it can get very stressful, and can even make me (the mediator) feel like I'm betraying one friend at one moment, and the other friend at another moment. One of the most important things that I've learned while in the business of mediation is that you should never disclose the information that one friend gave to you to the other friend! That is an almost sure fire way to destroy the bridges that a mediator is in charge of building, or (in some cases) reconstructing. I think I've made the mistake of "spilling the beans" once or twice before, and it usually results in one friend resenting you while the other one praises you. THAT'S when YOU become part of the problem, and as a mediator, who wants that? So take that as my "Two Cents of The Day" for all you faithful mediators and friends out there! And as always...KATO MATE!

No comments:

Post a Comment