Monday, September 14, 2009

2009 VMA Review

AAHHHH.....Well folks, as you all know last night, the 2009 MTV VMA awards came on. I for one was EXTREMELY excited to see the show after hearing of the Janet Jackson dance tribute to her brother, Lady Gaga's performance, and multiple other scheduled events for the night. The show opened up with a great speech from pop icon Madonna, who talked about her brief time with the late Michael Jackson. What really touched me was how she "blamed" herself and others for the passing of Michael. I really havent heard anyone took full responsibility for the King of Pop's Death, and it was great to know that someone actually has the gutts to do so. After Madonna concluded her speech, the tribute to Michael began. First, his backup dancers emerged and did a great dance medley, which consisted of "Thriller", "Bad" and "Smooth Criminal". This brief performance by the dancers gave the world but a preview of the amount of talent that the late King of Pop was working with in his last days. Then the stage took a dramatic change,as everyone prepared for "Scream" to be performed. A brief clip of Michael Jackson from the video was shown before Janet emerged, and gave a groundbreaking performance. That's how the night started off. Now, somewhere along the course of the night, the award show took a turn for the worse. Maybe it was Jack Black's mock prayer to Satan or Russel Brand's untasteful jokes that ruined the magic for me....OH!! WAIT!! I KNOW WHAT IT WAS! It was my musical idol, Kanye West, acting like a complete JERK on national television-AGAIN! I love that man a lot, but it's getting tiring having to defend him all the time. Unfortunately theres no excuses this time..SORRY Mr.West. Well, after that trainwreck moment I was EAGER for whatever normality the show could offer. Instead I got GAGA. Now, the performance was very creative, dot get me wrong, but I think it got to be too much somewhere along the line. Needless to say, after that performance I was DESPERATE for an artist to come along and restore the show back to the greatness that it had been in it's beginning. Then came Beyonce. Belting out a quick medley of "Sweet Dreans" and "Single Ladie's" the Queen Bey then performed "Single Ladie's" with an array of talented backup dancers. This performance saved the night for me. But, after all that excitement, I was tired. I watched until Beyonce did her damage repair by letting Taylor Swift do her speech. Today I caught up with the rest of the nights highs and lows, (including Lil Mama's unexpected stage appearance during Jay-Z's powerful performance of "Empire State of Mind" with Alicia Keys). What an idiot. Overall, the show was good, however I do think that it's time that MTV takes more precaution when inviting characters like Kanye West to the award shows. How he managed to get up on stage, I DON'T KNOW. I do know that there's a great invention called security though but, WHAT ARE YOU GONNA DO?....And with that I conclude this entry. KATO MATE FAM.

No comments:

Post a Comment